This is a repeat of a post we put out when the blog first opened. We are requesting members submit materials as soon as possible in order to maintain the semi-sanity of the editorial team.
Thank you for investing in your literary community and our mental health.
We are excited to announce that WbtR is planning an anthology of writing and sketches by YOU! This professionally published book will help raise awareness of WbtR, showcase talent by our members and, through sales, earn funds for expanding WbtR’s support of local writers. The anthology will be entitled New Departuresand will be released mid November, 2012.
A small group of WbtR members has volunteered to take on this project, but we can’t do it without you. Please consider submitting work for consideration. Submission guidelines follow.
The deadline for submitting is August 31, 2012.
Theme:innovation. We are seeking work that expresses ideas in new ways, encourages creative and critical thinking and adds fresh energy to the local arts.
Prose: fiction, essay, literary non-fiction
Submissions have a 2,000 word maximum, one submission per author.
Poetry: any form
Submit 3-5 poems, no more than 40 lines per poem.
All text submissions must be sent as MS Word document attachments. Documents must be left justified, typed in 12-point Times font, grammar/spell-checked and titled in some way. Please use page numbers and include the author’s name on each page.
Any submission that demonstrates research must be documented using citations and references in order to avoid plagiarism.
Submit 3-5 sketches. Submissions must be in high resolution, ready-to-print .jpg format and reproducible in black and white. Images that might appear too light or too dark in print cannot be accepted.
When submitting, please keep in mind
• Authors and artists must be age 18 or over;
• Work must be original;
• Authors and artists retain copyrights;
• Previously published work must be noted as such in the submission. (Please be certain you are legally permitted to republish your work, as we will not be liable for copyright infringement.);
• Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of Write by the Rails members before being selected for publication;
• Accepted submissions are subject to editing;
• If work is accepted, authors and artists will be asked to sign a simple release to publish, as well as submit a short biography;
• All work must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
At this time, WbtR is unable to pay contributors. However, the anthology will be made available for sale at community events, through members’ sales, online through Amazon and other internet distributors and through select local businesses. Contributors are encouraged to use the anthology as a marketing tool as well as circulate the publication through other appropriate venues.
Thank you for your efforts in strengthening the writing community by being actively involved in Write by the Rails. We look forward to receiving your submissions.
New Departures Editorial Team